Saturday, May 26, 2012

Painting the house

Last month we had our flat painted. Here is a summary to benchmark the costs and help you decide what works best for you.

We standardized on using Asian paints. Well I did not do any homework on what is the best paint company but I knew the top two vendors. The main cost for painting the house could be for the labour charges.

Average painter cost in chennai is Rs 750 to Rs 1000. But the hard part is you will not get 2-3 of them yourself without going through a experienced painter who is the "Manager".  BTW he only does the talking on a given day and the others do the work.

For my ~ 1000 sq ft house, it took 4 man days to double coat the house.

We went with Premium Tractor Emulsion from Asian Paints. Rs 220 Per Liter.

The amount of paint needed was 10Litres. It is also important to note the ratio of paint to water the painters mix. For me they did a  1:1 ratio. Hence it is easier for them to paint. But the recommended one by Asian is a lot thicker than that. The thicker the paint, the more time it takes for the painter to finish the job.

The good part is the prices are almost the same in all shops and the price is set by a central ERP system (computer) of Asian Paints. The price varies by the colour you choose. We initially had white, but we went in for a cream shade. If you are changing the colour then you must do a double coat of paint.


The good thing of the new paints is, it has almost no odour once painted. I could sleep in the same house on the day the house was painted with the windows and door open.

Cost Breakup for 1000 square feet flat - painting the interior walls alone :

Paint and materials :  Rs 3000 includes paint, brushes, sand paper etc.
Labour Cost : Rs 6000

I ended up paying more than I should have. Actually that is the reason for this blog post.

While negotiating get them to commit on cleaning the walls first. This is critical as otherwise the paint will peel off. Hence paying per day may give better quality results than a general contract to paint the house. However the problem with painting per day is they will drag the work by double the time.

That's it from me. Good luck with your house painting job :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanx for sharing your experience..... It will help me to color my house....

Anonymous said...

Thank you friend., for your valuable lessons learned update., I sincerely appreciate your intend.,

BTW., I am now looking out for painting my house., and the quote that I am getting from the painters are way above what you had paid., although I see that you had done this job around May 2012., still the rate that I am quoted is exhorbitant :(

I need your help here., could you please share the contact details of the team whom you engaged for your house painting.,

Do you recommend them?

G i b u said...

I do not have the phone number with me now. Will try to post if i get hold of it. The painter was the husband of our earlier house maid. Hence a bit harder to get that number.

Where are you located as if its not where I am, I am not sure if it would make sense :-)

Anonymous said...

I just did painting for my house. I had a big fight on how much paint is needed to paint the house. House is around 900 sqft. I bought 10 litres of Asian paints tractor emulsion. For one coating itself 10 litres they finished. I was not in person to overlook. Isn't 10 litre itself is more for 900 sqft single coat?

G i b u said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
G i b u said...

Anonymous at Mon Nov 03, 01:16:00 PM GMT+5:30

I forgot to say we did not paint the ceiling. I was talking only about the walls. Sorry for that miss.

What was the paint to water ratio they used?

Prabhu said...

Thanks for sharing your experience

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing informative article Painting